Friday 1 February 2013

Editorial Design


This is my final outcome for the last module, two double page spreads for my typography magazine 'TypEd'...
I used these images of Peter Crawley's beautiful typography artwork as the feature of this spread,
the idea behind the layout was to have one page dedicated to the artwork, un-interupted by the body copy which is positioned in frames on the opposite page, each equal in size and position to their corresponding image.

             I love the bold use of colour and shape in Alan Kitching's work so decided to dedicate this spread to it. I looked at the golden ratio a lot during my research and the principles of editorial design, the golden ratio, when used in editorial design, can be used to find the perfect position for the content of the page while leaving room at the bottom to hold the book or magazine. My magazine layout was square so I was unable to apply the Van De Graff canon to work out the ratio but I did adapt the principle of 'holding space' to my design which has worked really well and also allowed for the perfect place to position page numbers. I was keen to design the pages of my magazine together so that the spread worked as a whole, for these pages I followed a reverse symmetry theme, the copy steps up on the left and continues in to the air on the right, I balanced this idea by placing the image content in opposing corners. The final rule I introduced was white space, this was helped by the 'holding space' and added to the balance of the layout, I don't like to overcrowd a page and feel that there should always be 'room to breathe' when working your way around an article.

No comments:

Post a Comment